Poppe Law Firm®

Justice Plaza 8700 Westport Rd, Louisville, KY 40242

(502) 895-3400

(855) 864-8949

Electronic Cigarette Explodes in Kentucky Man’s Pocket

Electronic cigarettes are becoming more and more popular either as a method to stop smoking cigarettes or as an alternative to cigarettes. This new and trendy method of smoking uses battery-operated devices to release liquid that contains nicotine in the form of vapor to be inhaled by its users. While the use of these types of cigarettes is vastly growing, there have been several explosions raising safety concerns for all.

Josh Hamilton was the latest victim of the e-cigarette explosions. Hamilton was paying for snacks at a Shell gas station in Owensboro, Kentucky when his electronic cigarette exploded in his pocket causing him to suffer severe third degree burns. The explosion created a fire causing Hamilton to run out of the gas station and for an employee to have to put it out with a fire extinguisher. Hamilton is not the first person to be a victim to the e-cigarette explosion. There has reportedly been 22 explosion incidents since 2008. Last October a man named Evan Sphalinger from Naples, Florida was placed in intensive care and had to have surgery after an e-cigarette exploded leaving him with severe burns on his face, neck, hands, and lungs. Similarly, in 2013 a woman named Kinzie Barlow claims that she was charging her e-cigarette when it exploded causing her 3-year old son to suffer first and second-degree burns.

Neither electronic cigarettes nor the liquids used in them are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. The manufacturers, however, still are required to provide a safe and hazard free product to its customers. If you or anyone you know has been affected by these issues please contact The Poppe Law Firm® at (502) 895-3400.

Share this article